Thursday 6 September 2018

On top of the (Yorkshire) Wolds


There's something about cycling in the Yorkshire Wolds that makes you feel on top of the world. Literally. Of course you have to climb to reach the top but these bike climbs worth it for the wide vistas and the feeling that you are way, way above the world. In some places there isn't much in the way of buildings; just the odd farm plus arable fields or fields of sheep stretching almost as far as the eye can see. In between these chalk hills are dry dales, like mini Cheddar Gorges but without the stone and with gentler sides which are spectacular fun to cycle down. And, as on this warm sunny Saturday in early September, the roads were relatively free of traffic. You wouldn't get that at Cheddar!


When out cycling, whether cycling in Yorkshire or cycling further afield in Devon or Somerset, I love it when I find somewhere where "no-one can find me"... where I can hide and no-one would ever know I was there. That may sound a tad dangerous, but what it's about is a kind of "safe place" where family life, work and PTSD triggers can't affect me. Over the years these "secret hideaway places" have included nature reserves where few people ever go... where you're surrounded by marshland and high vegetation... or dense woodland enveloping tiny overgrown lanes where vehicles rarely drive, and - on Saturday - these empty roads on top of the Yorkshire Wolds.

Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel: Batty Matty's bike rides, UK where I've uploaded over 100 bike ride videos from recent weeks, months and years.


No comments:

Post a Comment

"This is what I am here for so this is what I will do" - cycling holiday in Somerset / Devon / Dorset

Cycling past Stourhead Gardens, Wiltshire in May Two or three times a year I like to hire a cottage, throw my bike in the back of the ...